Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My True Love


I have found my favorite brush and technique. It's called oil on canvas with a flat brush. After all that digital painting, my soul craved for something tangible. I think this was the most satisfying painting I have done in my life. I started out with a flesh colored canvas already dry and used basically two colors: indigo blue and burnt sienna. It took me 12 hours to paint on a 16x20 canvas. The one unfortunate thing is is that I copied a photo from a 2005 Harper's Bazaar magazine, but I had no time to think, I just had to paint (I did change her skirt to a long skirt to make it feel more period). However, I feel truly inspired to continue in this style of painting. I didn't want it to look like anyone else's work as I have felt in the past, I simply enjoyed painting however it decided to come out. Now I want to do a whole series of paintings like this so I am going to con my friends into dressing up in period clothing. Hey, if anyone reads this and would like to volunteer, by all means send me a note.

1 comment:

complainr said...

This painting is so great. I would love to see it in person, I really like seeing texture in paintings. And I am so there with volunteering. Any excuse to dress up. I've got some Renaissance-y stuff, if you would like to go that direction...And I volunteer Chris, too...hehe.